Admission to the Athletic Training Education Program
Admission to the University of Mobile and to the College of Education, Department of Human Performance and Exercise Science does not constitute acceptance into the Athletic Training Education Program. Students are allowed to enter the pre-professional phase and then make application during the Spring Semester (see time parameters below) for consideration for acceptance into the Athletic Training Education Program. Students may not take Clinical Experiences 225, 226, 325, 326, 425, or 426 unless they have been admitted to the Athletic Training Education Program. Admission to the Athletic Training Education Program is also a prerequisite for didactic courses HPE 363, 364, 361, 365, and 367.
For consideration for admission to the Athletic Training Education Program at the University of Mobile, the pre-professional student must:
- File the appropriate application with the ATEP Program Director or Clinical Education Coordinator by 1st Monday in February.
- Show proof of completion or current enrollment in courses that would, upon successful completion, amount to 24 semester hours including pre-professional courses HPE 251, HPE 214, HPE 261, HPE 269, HPE 125 and HPE 126.
- Submit proof of cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale overall and 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for courses HPE 251, HPE 214, HPE 261, and HPE 126. If the pre-professional student is currently registered in the remainder of these courses, his/her grade point average will be determined at the conclusion of 24 semester hours and these listed courses.
- Submit proof of a physical exam and technical standard document signed and completed by a physician within six months prior to application to ATEP stating that the pre-professional student meets or exceed the technical standards for the rigorous activity involved in the field of athletic training.
- Submit proof of Hepatitis B vaccination or waiver.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a BOC Certified Athletic Trainer.
- Obtain the threshold passing cumulative score on the interviews with members of the ATEP Admissions Interview Committee composed of Program Director, ATEP Liaison with Athletics, Chair of HPES, Education Faculty Member, ATEP Medical Director and one University administrator (rotating, Dean or above). See Athletic Training Education Program Policies and Procedures Manual for Students, ACIs and CIs and the Athletic Training Education Program web page for the full text of the ATEP Program Admission Point System.
Eligible applicants will be informed of the committee’s decision by the start of the 2nd Summer Session at the University of Mobile. Notification may be by letter, telephone communication or email by the Program Director.
*Pre-professional students who have applied for acceptance into the Athletic Training Education Program will be allowed to conditionally pre-register for professional classes the following Fall semester, with the condition of being acceptance into ATEP before the start of the Fall semester.
CAATE Standards and Guidelines state the student: clinical instructor ratio shall not exceed eight (8) students to one clinical instructor during the course of a clinical experience course. Acceptance into the ATEP is based on Criteria 1-7 above. Number of available openings does not guarantee acceptance into the Program. Offers of acceptance into the ATEP are presented on a competitive basis to those pre-professional students deemed most qualified.
Each student accepted into the Athletic Training Education Program must submit a letter stating that he/she accepts the invitation and responsibility connected with the Athletic Training Education Program.