1. Write out some of your strengths and interests
2. Preliminary Research
- Determine possible majors
- School catalog
- Course descriptions
- Requirements – amount and type
- GPA requirement
- Sequential courses
3. Active Research
- Note a few upper and lower division courses from possible majors
- Take a course in that major to gain exposure
- Talk to other students about courses and professors
- Approach the department advisors or go to professors
4. Determine reasonable list of major options, ideally by the end of second year
5. Obtain a Degree Progress Report (DPR) regularly to closely monitor academic progress
Three options in choosing a major:
- Practical major to satisfy a practical desire with a minor or specialization to satisfy strengths and interests.
- Interest related major with a minor or specialization to satisfy a practical desire.
- Double major:
- Requires approval from both major departments
- Can it be accomplished in 4 years?
- University of Mobile scholarships are good for 8 consecutive semesters