posted on May 15, 2012 17:57
MOBILE, Ala-- The University of Mobile men's tennis team fell 1-8 to 9th-ranked Point Loma Nazarene University Tuesday on day one of the 2012 NAIA Men's Tennis National Championship.
Mobile ends the season with a 7-6 overall record. This was Mobile's 5th-straight trip to the tournament. Point Loma advances to face Xavier University Wednesday at 1 pm.
Point Loma's No. 1 doubles duo of Tyler Bowman and Gregory de Andrade picked up an 8-2 win, and then each team picked up a comeback victory in the final two matches. Point Loma rallied from down 5-6 to take the 3rd doubles slot 8-6 and Mobile's No. 2 duo of Lucas Tristao and Guilherme Arcaro rallied from down 7-6 to win 9-8 (5).
Singles action was all Sea Lions. The closest Mobile came to picking up a point was Arcaro's 4-6, 4-6 loss at No. 5 singles.
Point Loma 8 - Mobile 1
1. Tyler Bowman (PL) def. Fernando Paiva (UM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Gregory de Andrade (PL) def. Karlis Stonis (UM) 6-3, 6-1
3. KC Ensley (PL) def. Enzo Correa (UM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Michael Zablan (PL) def. Lucas Tristao (UM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Diego Tavera (PL) def. Guilherme Arcaro (UM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Chad Rubin (PL) def. Bruno Marques (UM) 6-3, 6-1
1. Bowman/de Andrade (PL) def. Paiva/Stonis (UM) 8-2
2. Tristao/Arcaro (UM) def. Ensley/Tavera (PL) 9-8 (5)
3. Zablan/Andrew Combs (PL) def. Correa/Marques (UM) 8-6