posted on May 17, 2011 18:57
MOBILE, Ala—Southern States Athletic Conference foe William Carey University ended the University of Mobile’s season in the first round of play at the 2011 NAIA Women’s Tennis National Championship Tuesday at the Mobile Tennis Center.
Mobile (7-9) was making its 7th-consecutive trip to the tournament and 18th overall, while 12th-ranked William Carey (15-6) is in its first NAIA National Championship.
The Lady Crusaders quickly took 8-1 and 8-0 wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles while Mobile’s No. 1 team of Claudia Borges and Rachel Hartley battled at No. 1 doubles before falling 8-5.
William Carey controlled singles play as well, dropping only three games combined in No. 3-6 singles matches.
1. Maja Vuzem (WCU) def. Claudia Borgas (UM) 6-0, 6-3
2. Petra Pesic (WCU) def. Rachel Hartley (UM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alexandra Kaluza (WCU) def. Nancy Machen (UM) 6-0, 6-2
4. Anastasia Khabirova (WCU) def. Emily Kolakoski (UM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Joyce Oliviera (WCU) def. Cynthia Summersgill (UM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Tiffany Roberts (WCU) def. Tracy Cullum (UM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Maja Vuzem/Alexandra Kaluza (WCU) def. Claudia Borgas/Rachel Hartley (UM) 8-5
2. Petra Pesic/Anastasia Khabirova (WCU) def. Nancy Machen/Emily Kolakoski (UM) 8-1
3. Hannah Johnson/Joyce Oliviera (WCU) def. Cynthia Summersgill/Tracy Cullum (UM) 8-0