posted on July 18, 2014 15:04
Season tickets are on sale now for the University of Mobile Performing Arts Series featuring jazz, musical theatre, opera, classical masters, sacred music and drama, plus the university’s popular Christmas Spectacular.
Season tickets are on sale through Aug. 22 for the university’s 2014-2015 Performing Arts Series. Season tickets are $80 and include 10 events, five dessert receptions and Gold Circle preferred seating. To order season tickets, call the University of Mobile Center for Performing Arts at (251) 442-2383 or email email@example.com.
The Performing Arts Series includes:
- Jazz Band Art Series on Sept. 25 at 7 p.m. at the Saraland Performing Arts Center. The concert features the UMobile Jazz Band performing music of Denver & the Mile High Orchestra, with special guest Denver Bierman. The music combines smooth vocals with a wall of sound that calls up the images of blues, funk and soul and is described by Bierman as “a contemporary pop sensibility with a nod to the great horn bands of the past.”
- “The Drowsy Chaperone” on Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. at Saraland Performing Arts Center. This Tony Award-winning musical is described as a musical within a comedy and is a parody of American musical comedy of the 1920s.
- 12th annual Christmas Spectacular on Nov. 22 and 23 at 7 p.m. at Dauphin Way Baptist Church. This Christmas extravaganza has become a must-see kickoff to the Christmas season in Mobile. The extravaganza features student and professional musicians performing sacred and secular favorites in a fast-paced, high energy evening. Christmas Spectacular plays to standing-room-only crowds. Additional performances will be held Nov. 20 and 21 at 7 p.m. and are not included in the season ticket package.
- “Saviour – The Story of God’s Passion for His People” on Jan. 30, time and location to be announced. This contemporary oratorio is an hour-long work that fuses classical patterns with contemporary forms. The work shares the story from creation through resurrection of God pursuing His people.
- Jazz Band “Over the Rainbow” concert on March 19 at 7 p.m. at Saraland Performing Arts Center. The program features America’s most colorful songs performed by the University of Mobile Jazz Band.
- Night of the Classical Masters on Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. at Dauphin Way United Methodist Church. University of Mobile students, faculty and staff perform a variety of classical works.
- Mobile Passion Play on March 28 and 29 at 7 p.m. at Dauphin Way Baptist Church. Students, faculty and staff of the University of Mobile join with Dauphin Way Baptist to present a dramatic musical production portraying the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. An additional performance on March 27 is not included in the season ticket package.
- “The Merry Widow” on April 18 at 7 p.m. and April 19 at 2 p.m. at Saraland Performing Arts Center. The story told by this operetta, based on an 1861 comedy play, is of a rich widow and her countrymen’s attempt to keep her money in the principality by finding her the right husband.
- Prism Presents UMobile on April 20 at 7 p.m. at Dauphin Way Baptist Church. This concert features a premiere of a new choral book from Prism Music Publishing, which creates music products designed for use by local church music ministries. The publication will include works written by UMobile Center for Performing Arts students. Music ministers from throughout the Southern Baptist Convention will be invited to attend the concert, along with the public, and hear the works performed for the first time. Prism Music will be recording the concert, which will feature student soloists as well as the University of Mobile Singers.
- Spring Spectacular on April 26 at 7 p.m. at Saraland Performing Arts Center. Spring Spectacular is the final concert of the University of Mobile Center for Performing Arts season and features students from over 20 of the school’s performing ensembles. It includes classical and contemporary styles, vocal and instrumental, and showcases the talents of UMobile students.
Christmas Spectacular 2013
Night of the Classical Masters
Mobile Passion Play
RamCorps performing at Spring Spectacular 2014
About the University of Mobile:
The University of Mobile is a Christian university located in Mobile, Ala., on an 880-acre campus near Gulf Coast beaches. More than 1,600 students are enrolled in more than 40 undergraduate and graduate programs in the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Christian Ministries, School of Education, School of Nursing, School of Worship Leadership, Center for Performing Arts/School of Music and Center for Adult Programs.
For more information about the University of Mobile, visit the website at www.umobile.edu or call Enrollment Services at 1.800.WIN.RAMS or 251.442.2222.